“Dare to be …. BETTER!”
Senior Directors and managers of businesses today are often characterised as being energetic, single-minded, results orientated, organised and experienced. Yet we all have areas where we can make improvements – none of us “know it all”. It is also often true that once people reach a level of “seniority” they don’t dare to admit that they need help for fear that that others will see them as vulnerable, a weak leader or have a weak team.
It is because we all have some shortcomings that Cognisi’s “Dare to be….” programme has been developed. It is designed to help address a wide variety of issues in an environment where there is no finger pointing and will reinforce your self-sufficiency and independence rather than challenge it.
Before you contact us for a FREE starter session, start with a few minutes of self reflection and identify in which of the following should you “Dare to be….BETTER”:
- Dare to be ….more strategic – should you prioritise your work in the areas where you can add most value? Be driven by what is urgent not what is important? Avoid the tendency to be driven by pressure to be seen to be busy?
- Dare to be ….a manager not a doer – do you need to stop micro-managing and getting bogged down in operational detail, disempowering your teams by pushing your own solution instead of drawing solutions (and greater commitment) from others?
- Dare to be ….less stifling – should you avoid trying to do too much yourself and punishing mistakes rather than proactively cultivating a culture of creative thinking and learning from mistakes?
- Dare to be ….more customer focused – do you recognise the need to undertake more contact with external and internal customers to genuinely seek to understand the needs of all stakeholders and strive to help them?
- Dare to be ….a better listener – how good are you at questioning and actually listening to the responses so that you create a full open dialogue, leading to real understanding of the other party’s issues, concerns or views?
- Dare to be ….more aware – do you recognise your own behavioural style and its effect on others? How emotionally intelligent are you?
- Dare to be ….more flexible – should you embrace more input from others and fight your strong desires to always be right? (often the result of a narrow background or being too internally focused)
- Dare to be ….focussed on developing others – is your style of coaching to tell others exactly how to do something and criticise mistakes rather than use a combination of appropriate praise and open questions designed to draw solutions out of others?
- Dare to be ….an agent of change – do you have great ideas but no one else seems to understand or “buy-in” to them?
The common underlying theme across these development needs is a narrow focus on me and immediate gratification of my needs. The me emphasis leads to pushing one’s own agendas and ideas, being overly defensive, not liking to look bad or lose and wanting to score all the goals oneself. If you “Dare to be….BETTER then contact me now for a FREE taster session